António Jorge de Castro Caeiro
See full CV here
I teach for 27 years now at the FCSH/UNL and have been Visiting Scholar in Freiburg, São Paulo, South Florida and Oxford. I teach ancient philosophy and Phenomenology. I also give translating seminars from Latin, Greek and German into Portuguese.
Academic Expertise and Research interests
I have working on systematic approaches to the concept of philosophy both in classical antiquity and contemporary philosophy. The fundamental questioning on grounds, reasons and motivations, meaning and reference, situational problems with programs and solutions are transversal both in historic and systematic approach to philosophy and cognate disciplines. I’ve been translating from the Greek, Latin and German literary and philosophical texts for the last 30 Years. I teach for 27 years now at the FCSH/UNL and have been Visiting Scholar in Freiburg, São Paulo, South Florida and Oxford. I teach ancient philosophy and contemporary philosophy, Latin, Greek and German.
- 2017: Pindar, Olympic Odes, Lisbon, Abysmo.
- 2017: Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, Translation, introduction and notes, São Paulo, Atlas (2nd edition).
- 2014: ARISTÓTELES, Fragments of Dialogues and Exortative Works, Lisbon, INCM.
- 2014: São Paulo, Apocalipse and Conversion, Lisbon, Alêtheia.
- 2010: For Oneself (the concept of Person in Max Scheler), Porto, Engenheiro António de Almeida Foundation.2010: Pindar Odes, Translation, Preface and notes, Quetzal.
- 2006: Pindar Pythical Odes for the Winners, Greek translation, introduction and notes, Libon. Prime Book.
- (2002) ARETE as an Extreme Possibility of Human- Phenomenology of Praxis in Plato and Aristotle, Lisbon, INCM
- 2016c: Plato's Gorgias' Eschatological Myth. In: Plato's Gorgias - Labyrinth and Threads (Mário Jorge de Carvalho & Tomaz Fidalgo, Collection: eQVODLIBET 3 1st edition, Coimbra.
- 2016b: Plato's Gorgias Eschathological myth. In Maria Jose Velasquez, Greek Philosophy and Mystery Cults, (pp. 51-68). Oxford, OUP.
- 2016a: Caeiro, António de Castro. (not yet published). The Dimensions of Time in Plato's Parmenides (140a1-42a8) and Proclus's Commentary in Platonis Parmenidem. António Manuel Martins (ed.) The Plato's Parmenides.
- 2009: "The Origins of Analogical Thinking in Western Thought- Notes Towards a Constitution of an Ethology Transcendentalis' Based on Heraclitus and Pindar" in EXPRESSIONS OF ANALOGY, Proceedings, Proceedings, org. Maria Luísa Couto Soares, Nuno Venturinha, Gil da Costa Santos, Marta Faustino, 2009, Editions Colibri, Lisbon.
- 2008: "The access to others as themselves in their There" in DIDASKALIA, Faculty of Theology / Lisbon, xxxviii, fascicle 1, 2008, pp. 227-256.
- 2008: "God in Aristotle: in Metaphysics (XII, vii-ix) and Nicomachean Ethics (X, vi-viii). The energetic agent of change, kínesis "in The Question of God in the History of Philosophy, Vol. I, project coordinated by Maria Leonor LO Xavier, Vol I, Project FCT / CFUL [PTDC / FIL / 64249/2006] 2008.
- 2007: Nostalgia in the Fourth Pítica of Pindar. "In Frederico Lourenço (org.), Essays on Pindar. Lisbon. Cotovia.
- 2016: "Part and All, Other and Oneself, Empty and Full- Existential Categories in São Paulo" in Existential Categories, End, Meaning, Ipseity, Nuno Ferro and Paulo Lima (edts), IEF, Collections e-QVODLIBET, Coimbra, pp. 7-39. [http://www.uc.pt/fluc/uidief/ebooks/categories_existencial_1]
- 2013: "Looking into the Mirror" in the Mirror of the Phaedrus, De Carvalho, Mário Jorge; De Castro Caeiro, António; Telo, Hélder, Academia Verlag, 2013.
- 2013: "Is There Any Theory of Value in Aristotle's Ethics?" in Aristotle and The Philosophy of Law: Theory, Practice and Justice, L. Huppes-Cluysenaer, Unviersity of Amsterdam, Netherlands; N. M. Coelho, University of São Paulo, Brazil (Eds).
- 2012: "The Lêthê and its contraries" in Incursions in the Filebo CAEIRO, A. / de CARVALHO, M. J. (eds.), Porto, Engenheiro António de Almeida Foundation, 2013-
- 2011: "Understanding einai and alêthê dokein and the structuring semantics of poiein (Sophist, 234a-240c)" in F. Lisi, M. Migliori, J. Monserrat-Molas (eds.). "Formal Structures in Plato's Dialogues: Theaetetus, Sophist and Statesman." Sankt Augustin: Akademia Verlag. 2011. pp. 168-179.