Coordinator of the CultureLab
See full CV here
Bartholomew Ryan is a philosophy researcher and coordinator of the CultureLab at the Nova Institute of Philosophy (IFILNOVA) at the Universidade Nova de Lisboa. His academic and creative works orbit around the central motif of ‘transformation,’ which takes into account the masks, journeys and (multiple) identities that define the modern human condition. Amongst his various publications, his books include Faces of the Self: Autobiography, Confession, Therapy (co-editor, forthcoming 2018), Nietzsche and Pessoa: Ensaios (co-editor, 2016), Nietzsche and the Problem of Subjectivity (co-editor, 2015), and Kierkegaard's Indirect Politics: Interludes with Lukács, Schmitt, Benjamin and Adorno (2014). He continues to write on the plurality of the subject and theatre of the self in philosophy and literature, focusing especially on writers such as Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Pessoa and Joyce. He is an integrated member of the research groups ‘Questions of Subjectivity: Literature and Philosophy’ and the ‘Lisbon Nietzsche Group’ in the CultureLab; and is also a member of ‘HyperNietzsche’ and the ‘Experimentation and Dissidence’ Research Project at the Centre of Philosophy at the University of Lisbon. He was awarded the FCT Exploratory Grant (April 2014-March 2015) for the project ‘The Plurality of the Subject in Nietzsche and Pessoa’ in which he was the project leader.
Academic Expertise and Research interests
Modernism as a Philosophical Issue; Plurality of the Subject in Philosophy and Literature; Ecological Thought, Critical Theory; Radical Cosmopolitanism
- Rostos do Si: Autobiografia, Confissão, Terapia, (eds. M. Faustino, B. Ryan, G. Ferraro), Lisboa: Vendaval, 2018. [forthcoming]
- Nietzsche e Pessoa: Ensaios, co-editor with Marta Faustino and Antonio Cardiello, Lisboa: tinta-da-china, 2016.
- Nietzsche and the Problem of Subjectivity, co-editor with João Constâncio and Maria Mayer Branco, Berlin/New York: 2015.
- Kierkegaard’s Indirect Politics: Interludes with Lukács, Schmitt, Benjamin and Adorno. Amsterdam/NewYork: Brill/Rodopi Press, 2014.
Articles and Chapters
- “Kierkegaard’s Dagdriver: loafing as a means of resistance to the technological, media and consumer system” in Kierkegaard and Political Theology (ed. Silas Morgan and Roberto Sirvent), Oregon: Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2018. [forthcoming]
- “Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso”: The Impossible Journeys of Søren Kierkegaard and Fernando Pessoa, in Philosophy in the Condition of Modernism (ed. Ana Falcato & Antonio Cardiello), London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2018. [forthcoming]
- “O Tinteiro Assombradado”: Forjar um herói joyceano em Roger Casement, M. in Rostos do Si: Autobiografia, Confissão, Terapia, (eds. M. Faustino, B. Ryan, G. Ferraro), Lisboa: Vendaval, 2018. [forthcoming]
‘“I’m beginning to know myself. I don’t exist.” The Interval of Álvaro de Campos’, in Essays on Values and Practical Rationality – Ethical and Aesthetical Dimensions (Ifilnova Yearbook), Bern: Peter Lang, 2017.
“A Voyage in Immanence: Alberto Caeiro as an expression of Spinoza's Ethics”, Literature and the Encounter with Immanence, edited by Brynnar Swenson, New York/Amsterdam: Brill, 2017.
- “Aplicando as expressões de Pessoa ‘nonregionalism’ e ‘indefiniteness of soul’ ao cosmopolitismo radical e à ‘racialidade pluritópica’” [online], Lisboa: Casa Fernando Pessoa, 2017.
- “Kierkegaard’s Experimental Theatre of the Self”, Experimentation & Dissidence from Hamann to Kierkegaard [online] (eds. Justo, José Miranda; Sousa, Elisabete; Silva, Fernando M. F.), Lisboa: Centro de Filosofia da Universidade de Lisboa, 2017.
- “Orpheu e os Filhos de Nietzsche: Caos e Cosmoplitismo”, in Nietzsche e Pessoa: Ensaios (ed. Ryan, Faustino, Cardiello), Lisboa: tinta-da-china, 2016.
- “Intervalos, Interseccionismos e a Pluralidade do Sujeito”, in Nietzsche e Pessoa: Ensaios (ed. Ryan, Faustino, Cardiello), Lisboa: tinta-da-china, 2016.
- “The Plurality of the Subject in Kierkegaard and Nietzsche: Confronting Nihilism with Masks, Faith, and Amor Fati”, in Nietzsche and the Problem of Subjectivity, ed. Branco, Constâncio, Ryan, Berlin/ New York: de Gruyter, 2015.
- “Mythologising the Exiled Self in James Joyce and Fernando Pessoa”. Pessoa Plural: A Journal of Fernando Pessoa Studies, ed. Onésimo Almeida, Paulo de Medeiros & Jerónimo Pizarro, Brown University, Warwick University, Universidad de los Andes, 2014.
- “Who’s There?: A Crise e a Repetição do Eu em Fernando Pessoa”. Lisboa: III Congresso Internacional Fernando Pessoa, 2014.
- “Kierkegaard’s Fairytale”, pp. 945-961, Milan: Rivista di Filosofia Neo-Scolastica, 3-4, 2013.
- “Into the Nothing with Kierkegaard and Pessoa”, Kierkegaard and the Challenges of Infinitude, Lisboa: Centro de Filosofia da Universidade de Lisboa, 2013.
- “James Joyce: negation, kierkeyaard, wake and repetition.” Kierkegaard’s Influence on Literature, Criticism and Art, in Kierkegaard Research: Sources, Reception and Resources. Volume 12, Tome IV, Surrey: Ashgate Publishing, 2013.
- “The Rise and Fall of Zarathustra’s Star”, As the Spider Spins: Essays on Nietzsche's Critique and Use of Language. Berlin/New York: de Gruyter, 2012.
- “Deception, Nature and Nihilism in Politics: King Lear and Kurosawa”. Politics Otherwise: Shakespeare as Social and Political Critique, eds. L.Donskis and J.D. Mininger, Amsterdam/New York: Rodopi, Value Inquiry Book Series, 2012.
- “Carl Schmitt: Zones of Exception and Appropriation’”. Kierkegaard’s Influence on Social-Political Thought, in Kierkegaard Research: Sources, Reception and Resources. Volume 14, ed. Jon Stewart, Surrey, Ashgate Publishing, 2011.
- “Vigilantes of the Exception: Kierkegaard and Carl Schmitt”, In the Shadow of Kierkegaard, (ed. Kralik, Khan, Mahrik, Turcan), Central European Research Institute of Søren Kierkegaard (Constantine the Philosopher University in Nitra, Slovakia) with Kierkegaard Circle, University of Toronto, December 2011.
- “Dialogue Against Itself, Chatter and Nomadic Thinking”, LCC Liberal Arts Studies. Volume I: Culture and Dialogue, LCC International University, April 2009.
- Preface to Kierkegaard and Faith, Slovakia /University of Barcelona, 2008.
- “Kierkegaard and Nature: A Pagan’s Critique”. Kierkegaard and Faith, Nov 2008.
- “Seduction, Defiance and Despair: Lord Byron in the works of Kierkegaard”, Kierkegaard Research: Sources, Reception and Resources. Volume 5, Tome III, ed. Jon Stewart, Surrey: Ashgate Publishing, 2008.
- “Anxiety and the Desecration of Silence: Shelley in the works of Kierkegaard”. (2008): Kierkegaard Research: Sources, Reception and Resources. Volume 5, Tome III, ed. Jon Stewart, Surrey: Ashgate Publishing, 2008.
- “Dethroning the Worldly Worries: The Traveller of Christian Discourses” Kierkegaard Studies Yearbook 2007, Berlin/New York: de Gruyter, 2007.